Saturday, September 24, 2016

Grade 7 - This WAS the plan for Week 1

This is what I had planned for our first week, but Ham is unable to write and I think this is way too much work for him, after having been unstructured for a year. I didn't want to lose this so I am going to publish it.


Math

We are starting with Order of Operations. He is to watch the Introduction to Order of Operations video on YouTube and complete the Basic Order of Operations worksheets on Math Worksheets 4 Kids.


Yes, all 9 worksheets. 

The great thing about these worksheets - they come with an answer key. I'm going to try them before peeking.

Language Arts

In the beginning, I am going to focus a lot on taking notes on short written pieces. This week, he is evaluating three different methods of note taking:
He has three short pieces to read and take notes on:
I'm trying to use this as a way to expose him to current events and in the future I will look for articles related to his interests.

Social Studies

It's election year, so we are focusing on the U.S. Government. There are some great lesson plans on the iCivics website. This week, we are focusing on Foundations of Government. There are five lessons in the unit, with information and activities. 

Science

This is where things get sticky. We are both huge science geeks with short attention spans. Normally, we are all into earth science and astronomy. The plan right now is to do life science, but I have a feeling we are going to jump around a lot. The first thing we are doing is Cell Biology. I'm actually using the DiscoveryK12 curriculum as a guide, along with supplemental materials. I found a great lesson plan for cell biology from Bemidji State University just by Googling "grade 7 cell biology."

And that is pretty much all we are going to do for the first week. We are also going to re-watch Stranger Things on Netflix and I'm desperately trying to find a way to make a unit study out of it. I watched the show and fell in love with it. Ham isn't much of a tv show watcher but I convinced him to give it a try and I got a wonderful middle of the night text message:


And later that afternoon, I got another message. Beware, minor spoilers.

You've been warned. If you have not seen the awesomeness that is...


...turn back now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Yes, we are totally make this show into a homeschooling unit.


No comments:

Post a Comment