Saturday, September 24, 2016

Off to a rocky start

We were all set to start September 5. I had a wonderful first week planned. Then my son injured his dominant hand enough to require surgery and it will be out of commission for another month or so. I scrambled to find something he would do on the computer and through discussion with me. I found some interactive math here, so we could do a quick review of 6th grade stuff. He couldn't remember some of it so he only completed half of what I assigned the first week, and I ended up pushing the second half to our next week so I could review with him. I gave him some vocabulary words to define and put into sentences. Honestly, I didn't even care if he copied and pasted the definitions. He really struggled with the sentences, claiming not to know how to put stuff into sentences. I think he was just being lazy. We went through each word together, discussed the definitions, and I provided examples of how each would be used until he could put together a sentence. This was not fun for either of us. There has to be a better way to do vocabulary.

We are taking very small baby steps with his note taking. We are starting with a two-column method that I found. I can't remember where I found it, but here is the template I use for him:

I printed out some very short articles relevant to his interests and we are doing them together for a while, reading the articles and talking about each paragraph as he makes his notes. Again, he got through half of what I had planned. 

So Week 2 is just going to be completing the rest of Week 1. And we are going to add P.E. this week. We're going to start taking walks, because we both need to be more active.

This shit is hard, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment